The Darien Arts Center awards this $2,000 scholarship to a DHS senior who will continue their study of the visual arts or design in college. It is not necessary that the student be declaring art as a major at this point, as long as he or she plans to take art courses. The award is given in memory of Virginia Wright, a talented artist, dedicated volunteer and generous benefactor.
A certificate will be presented at the DHS evening award ceremony on Thursday, May 25, 2023, and a check will follow by mail.
The following requirements must be met to complete the application process:
- Completion of the application is due by Friday, April 7, 2023. All submissions will be digital via the submission form below.
- An Artists’ Statement must accompany application. (See below Portfolio requirements.)
- A letter of support submitted by a member of the DHS visual arts faculty or another art school, is due Friday, April 7, 2023, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to DAC/Scholarship, 2 Renshaw Rd., Darien, CT 06820.
- Three pieces of art are required for submission. The work can be of any media, but the portfolio as a whole should create a cohesive example of the student’s body of work. As the submissions will be digital, please ensure that photographs of each piece are in focus.
- All work must be identified with the student’s name, title of work, media, and if desired, a brief description of the intention or objective of the piece.
- Artist's Statement: This can be the statement required for AP Art and the DHS Art Show, or it can be an art-related essay for a college application, or it can simply be a short, type written statement on why your art is important to you.
- Teacher Recommendation: Please ask one art teacher to support your application by writing a brief letter in support of your application and confirming that you are a student in good standing. Recommendation can be sent by email to email@example.com or mailed to Darien Arts Center/Scholarship - 2 Renshaw Road, Darien CT 06820 by April 7, 2023.
Directions to Submit Your Work:
1.) Follow the link darienartscenter.submittable.com, read our guidelines, and hit submit at the bottom of the page.
2.) Create your submittable account or log in to an existing one.
3.) Once your account is logged in, you will be taken to the application page again. Scroll down and type in your contact information.
4.) Upload and submit your artworks and artist's statement. Please submit one artist's statement to encompass all artworks. Enter each artwork's title and description in the labeled text boxes. Then upload your artworks.
**For any questions regarding submission of your works, please email Lisa Koorbusch at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 203-655-8683.